Sunday 24 July 2011

The Great Helen Keller Life Story | helen keller Photos | helen keller Images | helen keller Pics | helen keller Biodata

Helen Keller and Calvin Coolidge

Today we feature a photograph of President Calvin Coolidge and Helen Keller. Keller is remembered as a world famous speaker, author, and political activist. Keller was both blind and deaf from birth. She was born on this day in 1880.

Helen Keller sees president Truman with her hand


Helen Keller sees the president

The Story Of My Life

by Helen Keller

I don't have loads to say about this really. I really wanted to read it because I volunteered a quote from Helen Keller to use on the flowers at my Grandmother's funeral, "What we have once enjoyed we can never lose, all that we love deeply becomes a part of us."
The story of Helen Keller is obviously amazing. She overcame darkness and silence to create for herself a very valuable place in the world, achieving more than most fully-abled people.
I feel bad that I found her narrative slightly irritating. Her constant sunshine and roses outlook, while admirable seems unrealistic. If she really did live in this permanent state of mind then she is very lucky but I doubt it but I do bear in mind the way she has lived and overcome.
The letters were interesting but too many. The most interesting part I found was the story re-told at the end from the perspective of her teacher, Anne Sullivan through her letters and reports. This was fascinating and a lot more realistic.

I did love these couple of lines though...

"The woman paints the child's experiences in her own fantasy."

" One day, Miss Sullivan tells me, I pinned the word girl on my pinafore and stood in the wardrobe. On the shelf I arranged the words, is, in, wardrobe. Nothing delighted me so much as this game. My teacher and I played it for hours at a time. Often everything in the room was arranged in object sentences"

0 comments:

Post a Comment